Friday, October 15, 2010

PVD day 1

Ok, so I bailed on writing reports for a couple races so I figure I have to write this one.

Providence was a goal of mine from the start of the season. I had heard that the course was basically like a skate park, and that got me really stoked. I like courses that flow well, it makes me feel like I'm riding my skateboard and it makes putting lines together easy.

We showed up pretty early and I got in 2 pre-ride laps, and I was hooked. The course was great, the most fun I'd had yet on my bike. I made a bunch of excuses about how I was tired and that my legs sucked. Which is what I think every bike racer does when they feel good. The whole team lucked out when we were staged by registration order, all front row. I'm sure there is a photo of it somewhere, but my feeble search attempts found nothing. We started, I rode hard and hit the grass probably 5th wheel. Nick was in front of me and did a great repeat of his holeshot at quad. He cooked the turn and was in the tape. He recovered perfectly and lost only a few spots. Impressive hustle. Half way through the first lap we hit the barriers and I think that is where I made my passes and got on the front. I hit the half pipe sections and the climb as hard as I could and built maybe a 10 second gap. From then on the race got really weird, I was in front, with a gap and I just wanted to wait and let guys catch me. I felt too cautious in the turns and too slow in the power sections, but I guess it was enough. It was a slow and steady type of ride, I knew no matter what the result would be good and I didn't freak out because I was off the front.

Then we finished and I had won my goal race with a 20 something second gap. Super stoked.

Day 2 started great too. Until a rogue bungee cord took me out of 2nd place and really wrecked my back and front brake.

No comments:

Post a Comment