Monday, September 13, 2010

The season begins...

There have been a few races already, but the big guns of the internet, came out to play Sunday in Bedford (some guns are bigger on the internet than in real life.) Thom and I went over on Saturday to help out with setting up the course and to drop off the team tent(s). If you liked the turns after the pit, thank Thom and I, if not, blame Ian for leaving us unsupervised.



I've been practicing as often as possible since Blunt Park, hoping to improve on my DNF. I started well for about 35 seconds, then went 1st to 50th in about 5 seconds by going into the tape in the first turn. Actually it wasn't even the first turn. In true cat 4 form I miss judged my speed heading up off the pavement and didn't turn enough sending me right into the tape. I quickly regrouped got back on the bike and started trying to claw my way back toward the front. I made a couple of passes through the start finish, and ran the first "circle of death" part at the bottom of the hill passing a bunch more people. That running part earned me a "Watch out for the guys with tattoos, they're aggresive" comment from a guy in a Bike Barn jersey. When a Bike Barn guy says you're aggressive you know you're racing bikes. Seriously if I can run past you maybe you shouldn't be still on your bike. Just saying.

I finally sorted myself out some and found the group that I would ride with, ahem behind, and settled in for some redlining.

I finished 29 of 88 better than last year's 54 of 91, but not as good as Billy's 12th.

After my race I got to hang out the rest of the day and watch bikes and enjoy a Beer of the Gods from one of the Newbury Comics water bottles that we passed out. I had so much fun Sunday, I can't wait for VT this weekend.


-Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment